When our group last spoke to Dan, we all found a role in which we could focus on for a while, Karl learning character expressions, Ryan learning UV Mapping and for me to do some character modeling. As i am the team leader is it important for me to do the first main steps so that the others can carry them through. So, with me modeling our first character, Ryan can then UV map it, followed by Karl doing rigging. If i fail to do so then we all fall apart. The only trouble i am having at the moment though is that i am in the process of moving home, and we all know how stressful and time consuming that is. But, with that said i have started the process of this, and i have found all these little problems already, which in a way is a good thing as i am already identifying them and learning how to solve them, whether big or small.
So, what is the first problem you ask? Well, when first starting on my modeling, i started to build the body as this is where you would normally start. All was going pretty well at first. Once i done the front, i went onto the side and realized that i had to many subdivisions in the polygon count. When trying to reduce this i found out that i could not as this was messing up the geometry. As i found this out i also realized that the side profile pic was not quite to scale as my front profile.
Below is a few screen shots of modeling i started until i realized the problems
here is when i realized that i had too many subdivisions for the side profile and from them knew it is easier to add them than to try and get rid of them.
Here is where i have spaced out the subdivisions so that it would be easier to model.
Here is when i noticed that i should have spaced everything out instead of heading straight into modeling.
This image is to show the set up to start modeling, but if you look closely, you can tell that the side of the head from the side compared to the front is not to the same scale.
Now i need to redraw the side profile, upload and start again and hopefully this will turn out to be a better result.